Club History

Cushendall Golf Club was founded in 1937 when a meeting was called in the Glens of Antrim hotel on Saturday 4th December "for all those interested in the formation of a Golf Club and the acquisition of lands for same" by Mr Larry Morahan. Fifty nine invitations were issued and twenty three turned up.

Mr James McSparran, who was elected Chairman, reported that Legge grounds were available for lease at a yearly rent of £35.  He said that £140 would be required to run the Club for the first year.  He proposed that the fees should be 2 guineas each and he himself started the ball rolling with 2 guineas plus 3 guineas. 5 guineas were also contributed by Dr A.McSparran, Dr D.McSparran, A.McAlister, L.Morahan, E.Sweeney, J.Moonan, D.Lynn, G.McMeekin, J.Murray, J.Black, M.Anderson, and Fr.Connelly.  2 guineas came from J Hamill, H.Dobbs, J.Faulkner, D.McAlister, C.McCullagh and Sergeant Connell while G.B.Newe and J.McAuley contributed 1 guinea each for a total of 85 guineas.

The following were elected trustees to negotiate a lease:-E.Sweeney, A.McAlister, J.McSparran, J.Moonan and M.Anderson.  L.Morahan was elected Hon .Secretary while J.Moonan was elected Hon.Treasurer.

Messers J.Hamill, Dr A.McSparran and Sergeant Connell were asked to go around the area and solicit subscriptions.

At the 1st A.G.M,held on 18th February 1938 in the Glens of Antrim Hotel Mr J.McSparran was elected the 1st captain of Cushendall Golf Club.

Significant Milestones

1934 Match played between Glenarm & Cushendall
1937 Club officially formed at meeting in Glens of Antrim Hotel.
1938 Affiliated to GUI
1939 Formation of Ladies Branch
1947 Visit of Fred Daly after winning British Open at Hoylake.
1959 Won Barton Shield (Ulster Branch) – Beaten by Athlone in All-Ireland Semi –final.
1963 New fields obtained from Antrim C.C. (2nd & 3 Holes)
1966 First telephone installed in old Legge House Clubhouse
1967 Nellie Garrett Cup Winners (Ladies)
1975 Won Christie Flag.   
1977 First Bar/Function room opened (incorporating old Legge House)
1980 Northern District “D” Team Winners. (Ladies)
1986 ClubHouse renovated.
1987 First club computer installed.
1988 Won Pierce Purcell (Ulster Branch) –beaten by Galway in All Ireland Semi-final.
1989 Northern District “D” Team Winners. (Ladies)
1991 Northern District “D” Team Winners. (Ladies)
1997 First Junior Club Captain elected.
1997 Northern District “B” Team Winners. (Ladies)
2001 First Club in Ulster Golf to grant Ladies equal membership.
2004 Clubhouse renovated to present format.
2004 North Antrim Shield Winners.
2004 Northern District Ladies 4-Ball Winners. (Ladies)
2004            Smirnoff Scramble Winners (Portugal)
2004            Menolly Holmes Ulster Champions. (Ladies)
2005 Starters Hut installed.
2007 Ulster Intermediate Cup Finalists. (Ladies)
2008 Northern District Ladies 4-Ball Winners. (Ladies)
2013 Ulster Under 19 Girls Inter-Club Matchplay Finalists. (Junior Girls)
Copyright © Cushendall Golf Club, 2013-2017. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design and VPS Cloud Hosting by Uxello.
Golf Club CMSWebsite System - Golf Club CMS